The Erasmus Student Network (ESN) is the biggest student association in Europe. It was founded on the 16th October 1989 and legally registered in 1990 for supporting and developing student exchange.
ESN is present in more than 800 Higher Education Institutions in 41 countries. The network is constantly developing and expanding, with an annual growth rate of 12% since 2005. ESN has around 13.500 active members, and many sections also have so called buddies helping with taking care of international students. Thus, in total ESN involves around 29.000 young people, and offers its services to around 180.000 international students every year.
ESN works for the creation of a more mobile and flexible education environment, by supporting and developing student exchange programs from different levels. ESN also provides intercultural experiences to those students who cannot access a period abroad ("internationalisation at home").
Aims & Principles
In synthesis, ESN:
- works in the interest of international students
- works to improve the social and practical integration of international students
- represents the needs and rights of international students on the local, national, and international level
- provides relevant information about mobility programmes
- motivates students to study abroad
- works with the reintegration of homecoming students
- contributes to the improvement and accessibility of student mobility
- cares about its members
- values volunteering and active citizenship
Want to know more?
Head over to the website of ESN International!